Clicking on the first link to listen to Jason Chu, an inspiring performing rap artist, I was evoked in to looking further at his work.
http://grandmaster.bandcamp.com This direct link is a URL to Jason Chu's music. Within you'll find that most of his music is about stories and experiences of others. Culture, and what is expected of certain cultures, is what is being reflected throughout his music.
In Jason's personal blog he writes, "Over the past few years, as I’ve written more and more about my family, my friends, and their stories of leaving, moving, transitioning – translating – and growing, I’ve started realizing that culture isn’t an abstract noun. Culture is found on the deck of a refugee boat – the songs of a homeland – the memories of lost lives and lost loves – and the firm but tense bonds between generations."
A direct link to his blog: http://www.grandmasterchu.com
It pains me that artists like Chu aren't the ones we are hearing on the radio, the music that evokes people to be aware, like the videos Anita pointed out to us. Give yourself the chance to revel and poke around to listen some of Chu's music, you'll be just as inspired.
I found this interesting interview featuring Alvin Lau.
http://projektnewspeak.com/alvinlau
I chose this link because this interview really digs deeper into the personal experience that Alvin Lau draws on for inspiration for such poems like " Asia America , Where have you gone?" Alvin Lau also mentions how his parents struggles to achieve the "American Dream" and what that means to them to have made it where they are today. Alvin also goes on to explain how he considers himself a " writing Asian" instead of an " Asian writer" in order reach a wider audience. "you can not play down race at one point and then use it as a crutch another, you cant have it both ways."~Alvin Lau
I have always found Spoken Word to be a very powerful art form. After watching the video of Jason Chu's "Colorblind" I realized how many Asian stereotypes are referenced in every day life.
"Chu explains model minority as the “myth” that “all Asians do is overachieve, and they’re successful in certain technical fields,” as opposed to artistic fields."
Below is a link to yaleherald.com's article that talks about the roles Asian minorities play in today's hip hop music.
I did not quite understand the video or article on Jason Chu, but it seemed very interesting. I searched him out and came across his music which were very inspiring, and truthful. As a hip hop artist Jason Chu has decided to donate all of his profit from his Uncool Special Edition to illegal sex trafficking in Nepal. All donations will be given to the Red Thread movement a project of 501 (c) nonprofit organization. It will be released on September 24, and is for sale for $5. Here are a couple links to the article http://www.celebritynetworth.com/watch/dpP-Xfaz-2k/hip-hop-artist-jason-chu/ www.redthreadmovement.org www.jasonchu.net
Alvin Lau is. 27 year old poet, who is the first generation Chinese Immigrant. Her is a link where he was interviewed at the airport at San Francisco airport. The article basically speaks of his life and passion for poetry. Currently he chooses to focus on social justice for the Asian Pacific Islander community, and the struggles how stereotyping Asians. http://rohnertpark.towns.pressdemocrat.com/2011/04/news/qa-with-award-winning-poet-alvin-lau/
Clicking on the first link to listen to Jason Chu, an inspiring performing rap artist, I was evoked in to looking further at his work.
ReplyDeletehttp://grandmaster.bandcamp.com
This direct link is a URL to Jason Chu's music. Within you'll find that most of his music is about stories and experiences of others. Culture, and what is expected of certain cultures, is what is being reflected throughout his music.
In Jason's personal blog he writes, "Over the past few years, as I’ve written more and more about my family, my friends, and their stories of leaving, moving, transitioning – translating – and growing, I’ve started realizing that culture isn’t an abstract noun. Culture is found on the deck of a refugee boat – the songs of a homeland – the memories of lost lives and lost loves – and the firm but tense bonds between generations."
A direct link to his blog: http://www.grandmasterchu.com
It pains me that artists like Chu aren't the ones we are hearing on the radio, the music that evokes people to be aware, like the videos Anita pointed out to us. Give yourself the chance to revel and poke around to listen some of Chu's music, you'll be just as inspired.
I found this interesting interview featuring Alvin Lau.
ReplyDeletehttp://projektnewspeak.com/alvinlau
I chose this link because this interview really digs deeper into the personal experience that Alvin Lau draws on for inspiration for such poems like " Asia America , Where have you gone?" Alvin Lau also mentions how his parents struggles to achieve the "American Dream" and what that means to them to have made it where they are today. Alvin also goes on to explain how he considers himself a " writing Asian" instead of an " Asian writer" in order reach a wider audience. "you can not play down race at one point and then use it as a crutch another, you cant have it both ways."~Alvin Lau
I have always found Spoken Word to be a very powerful art form. After watching the video of Jason Chu's "Colorblind" I realized how many Asian stereotypes are referenced in every day life.
ReplyDelete"Chu explains model minority as the “myth” that “all Asians do is overachieve, and they’re successful in certain technical fields,” as opposed to artistic fields."
Below is a link to yaleherald.com's article that talks about the roles Asian minorities play in today's hip hop music.
http://yaleherald.com/arts/model-minority-rap-about-asian-american-stereotypes-sushi/
I did not quite understand the video or article on Jason Chu, but it seemed very interesting. I searched him out and came across his music which were very inspiring, and truthful. As a hip hop artist Jason Chu has decided to donate all of his profit from his Uncool Special Edition to illegal sex trafficking in Nepal. All donations will be given to the Red Thread movement a project of 501 (c) nonprofit organization. It will be released on September 24, and is for sale for $5.
ReplyDeleteHere are a couple links to the article
http://www.celebritynetworth.com/watch/dpP-Xfaz-2k/hip-hop-artist-jason-chu/
www.redthreadmovement.org www.jasonchu.net
Alvin Lau is. 27 year old poet, who is the first generation Chinese Immigrant. Her is a link where he was interviewed at the airport at San Francisco airport. The article basically speaks of his life and passion for poetry. Currently he chooses to focus on social justice for the Asian Pacific Islander community, and the struggles how stereotyping Asians. http://rohnertpark.towns.pressdemocrat.com/2011/04/news/qa-with-award-winning-poet-alvin-lau/
ReplyDelete