Native American performance crosses a variety of styles and genres.
Powwow events help various native communities to connect and share culture, politics, or history.
Contemporary performance expresses fusions of western and native art aesthetics.
Native playwrights interpret hybrid identities.
Individual performers like this Hoop dancer demonstrate cultural identity and performance virtuosity.
http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/ictarchives/2007/05/30/history-of-the-modern-hoop-dance-90866
ReplyDeleteThis is an article from Indian Country Today about the history of modern hoop dance. I chose it because it encompasses all aspects of the dance from its beginnings and how it has evolved and emerged over time. Knowing that the hoop represents the circle of life allows us to interpret this particular dancer's performance, and how it can be a display of his own life experiences.
ok, so this is a bit off topic, but in my search for links about native American performances in the arts, i stubbed across this interesting article about native American representation in contemporary film.Indian actor Rodney Grant( Dances with Wolves) explains that “If a white man didn’t tell the story, then the story wouldn’t have been made.” The article also mentions how more often then not , non-indians are telling the "Indian story". The aritle poses questions like should the movie-making machine of Hollywood have the right to interpret Native culture and re-tell their history? Should this artistic license extend to the sacred ceremonial rituals of a group? Are there historical and/or sacred events that should never be “re-created” because of the possible consequences of such “re-creations” to the original group?. i believe Hollywood really distorts the facts of any particular culture and to incorporating something sacred,, such as the ghost dance in Hidalgo, is treading on dangerous ground.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.thelongridersguild.com/roetman.htm
this a link to a song i also found a bit interesting
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zARXrhcK_eo
http://notartomatic.wordpress.com/tag/native-american-performance-art/
ReplyDeleteThis is a blog post created by two women, detailing a Native American art performance they witnessed. I know I'm supposed to write about their blog post, but they include a plethora of photographs and a video, and I think they express the ideas much more eloquently than I would be able to here!
While searching I stumbled across an interesting website. I realized that it was a school by Native Americans. The name of the school is St. Joseph's Indian school. On the website I read of the Powwow Native American dance styles, where they combine the drama and grace to tell their stories.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.stjo.org/site/PageServer?pagename=culture_powwow_styles